View In Room
View In Room
Acrylic and spray paint on canvas
Dimensions: 30cm (H) x 30cm (W) x 2cm (D) / 11.8" (H) x 11.8" (W) x 0.8" (D)
Note: Actual colours may vary due to photography & computer settings.
Child Song [Cross II], acrylic and spray paint on canvas, 30 x 30 cm, 2019.
Not framed / Signed and titled on the back / Ready to hang.
From the Cross II, series, 2018 - 2019.
Following the Cross series from 2018, Cross II is my current line of work based on the same process :
I use an orthogonal metallic grid as a matrix through which I make the painting cross. I work with a painter's knife as well as with a brush, my own hands or a can of spray paint, playing with colors, transparency and thickness, leaving empty surfaces on the canvas, shaping the color and creating relief and overlapping shapes.
Shipping & Returns
Hometown: Le Mans, France.
Based in: Sotteville-lès-rouen
I was born in 1980 in Le Mans (France).
I started to draw at a very young age. I remember drawing and painting since the day I was able to hold a pen. It seems like I never stopped since, like many other artists. I grew up in a modest but educated family and was encouraged to practice art from the beginning. I studied art and art history in high school and graduated in literature and arts at 18. Then I moved to Rennes (France) in 1998 to go to college where I got an Art Master Degree in 2003, focusing the whole last year on painting. In the meantime, I started to work as a High School Art Teacher in Paris suburbs in 2002.
I am currently living and working near Rouen (France), where I found myself a very nice studio and have opportunities to exhibit my work on a regular basis. I’m still teaching art to teenagers in high school.
My artistic influences are numerous. I’m very interested in the work of famous painters like Robert Ryman, Gerhard Richter, Vera Molnar or Bernard Frize. Supports/Surface’s research work on the intrinsic qualities of the painting and its process is also a very important influence on my own work.
My early works were small-sized square paintings in which I experimented on the colors, the surface (how many ways can one find to occupy the surface of the canvas ? ), the different overlapping coats of paint, and how the viewer can imagine them, given the clues that I left for him. I considered the viewer like an archaeologist or a geologist, digging and searching in the coats, the strata of the painting, trying to discover its process with his eyes as the only tool.
This is maybe the key to understand my work: I’m interested in the process as well as in the result of it. Maybe more, sometimes. It means I can experiment on the canvas, recycle old paintings to create new ones, include non-painting elements, or be inspired by a previous computer-made sketch.
In the [Cross II] series I’m currently working on, I use an orthogonal metallic grid as a matrix
through which I make the painting cross. I work with a painter's knife as well as with a brush, my own hands or a can of spray paint, playing with colors, transparency and thickness, leaving empty surfaces on the canvas, shaping the color and creating relief and overlapping shapes.
I work with acrylic because it provides a large palette of colors, allows to vary the thickness, or play with brightness and matte aspect. It also has a fairly short drying time which is useful, as I’m always working on three or four paintings at a time. I also like to work on different supports: canvas, wood panel, glass, plexiglass. Trying to take advantage of their intrinsic properties.
2020 - Art Agrégation (allows to teach arts in high school and university).
2003 - Art Master Degree, University of Rennes 2, France.
2002 - Capes d'arts plastiques (allows to teach arts in high school).
1998 - Litterature and Art Baccalaureate, Lycée Bellevue, Le Mans.
Solo Exhibitions :
- Les Galeries éphémères, APEF Agency, Rouen, France, 2014.
- Peintures et photographies, Le 11, Le Mans, France 2012/2013.
Group Exhibitions (selection) :
- 48h/48€ #3, Les Ateliers de la Cour, Pont-audemer, France, 2019.
- PrizuniK, Galerie Home, Sotteville-lès-rouen, France, 2019.
- Artistes avec les Migrants, Group show and charity auction in support of associations to aid refugees, Abbatiale Saint-Ouen, Rouen, France. An event hosted by À chacun son art, 2019.
- Salon Les Arts d'Oisel - 16 to 24 march 2019, La Neuville Chant d'Oisel (France).
- 48h/48€ #2, Les Ateliers de la Cour, Pont-audemer, France, 2018.
- Novembre à Vitry, Galerie Jean-Collet, Vitry-sur-Seine, France, 2017..
- 48h/48€, Les Ateliers de la Cour, Pont-Audemer, France, 2017.
- Hors-Limite(s), Galerie Municipale de Boissy Lamberville, France, 2014.
- Attention Fragile !, Galerie Municipale de Boissy Lamberville, France, 2012.
- Les Puits du Désir, Curated by Mohamed Rachdi, Eglise Notre Dame, Montataire, France, 2006.
- JuxtAssemblages et StratificapOsitions, Anciens Ets Michel, Aubervilliers, France, 2005.
- Recycl’art 2005, Koïfhus, Colmar, France, 2005.
- Petits formats, Galerie [email protected], Le Mans, France, 2004.
- Entre, Galerie Le Coin, Rennes, France, 2003.
- Corps & Graph(ismes), Abbaye Saint Vincent, Le Mans, France, 2003.
- Various private collections in France, Greece, UK, Australia, Canada and USA.
Buy with Confidence
Collect from reputable artists and galleries
Ships securely to your door
Certificates of Authenticity with each artwork
More Works by Maryline Beauplet-Dornic
Back to Top
Sign up for the latest updates
in contemporary art & design!