View In Room
View In Room
Photograph printed on museum quality 100% cotton fine art paper
Edition of 10
Dimensions: 91.4cm(H) x 61.0cm(W) / 36.0"(H) x 24.0"(W)
Note: Actual colours may vary due to photography & computer settings.
Shipping & Returns
Buy with Confidence
Collect from reputable artists and galleries
Ships securely to your door
Certificates of Authenticity with each artwork
Hometown: Mumbai, India
Lives and Works: Mumbai, India
Sandeep’s works explore the intersections between religion, spirituality and sexuality often questioning our current moral value system that seems to have been established through a mass blind acceptance of a normalised truth claim .
His unique visual style, Indian in its aesthetics, uses colours and symbolisms to further his stories. His approach towards staged portraiture creates a tension between what is real and what is fiction. By challenging widely held beliefs within the Indian culture, he employs a narrative style that blurs the lines between the real and the imagined often forcing the viewer to ponder over parallel interpretations.
A recipient of several awards, his works have been exhibited worldwide.
Having studied and worked in the US for over 15 years in the corporate sector, Sandeep eventually relocated back to India and has been a visual artist since 2010
Apart from his fine art work, Sandeep is currently involved in a few other endeavours. He heads a venture dedicated to the upliftment of Indian Handicraft businesses wherein he works with NGO’s engaged in sustainable rural artisanal development. He helps rural handicraft projects to develop their brand by guiding them to produce original and aesthetically evolved marketing and branding collaterals using cost effective and locally sourced talent to produce content inspired by the region’s socio-cultural evolution. He is also involved in the capacity of Global Creative Head at Lensational - a UK based NGO working towards women empowerment through photography, and teaches the craft of story telling to individuals whose stories are often ignored
AWARDS AND EXHIBITS
- • An Lanntair Arts Centre, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 2018 • National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, India 2018
• Platform Gallery, Glasgow, UK 2018
• Les nuits de Pierrevert, Montpellier, France 2018
• Tasveer Journal, India 2018
• Egaro Photo Festival, Agartala, Tripura, India 2017
• Just Another Photo Festival, Kolkatta, India 2017
• Kalinka Gallery, Pondicherry, India 2017
• Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts & Communication (SACAC), New Delhi, India 2017
• Fòcas Scotland ‒ Commissioned by the British Council and Creative Scotland as part of the ‘UK/India
Year of Culture 2017’ to make new lens-based work that shall travel through UK and India during
2018 ‒ Edinburgh, UK 2017
• Bikaner House, New Delhi, India, 2017
1504, Lilium, Nahar Amrit Shakti, Chandivali, Mumbai, MH - 400072, India
email@example.com www.sandeepdhopate.com +91-9619140101
• An Lanntair Arts Centre, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 2017
• A Surreal Vision, Loosen Art, Rome, Italy 2017
• The Realm of Queer Desires ‒ India Culture Lab, Mumbai, India 2017
• Addis Foto Fest, Addis Ababa - Ethiopia 2016
• The One Fest Goa, Goa - India 2016
• Public House Of Art, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2016.
• Part of 10 internationally selected group of artistes for a collaborative research program titled
“Disappearing Dialogues” in Art Ichol, Maihar, Madhya Pradesh. Works to be exhibited at the
India Habitat Centre in December 2017.
• LensCulture.com, USA, February 2016 - Featured - “Elysium"
• LensCulture.com, USA, January 2016 - Featured on the homepage - "smaraNa - A Recollection" • Named by Homegrown as one of the top 9 artists in India who are exploring sex and sexuality in
• Dali International Photography Festival, China 2015
• Athens International Photo Festival, Greece 2015
• Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, Mumbai, India 2015
• Goa International Photography Festival, Goa, India 2015
• Focus Photography Festival - Mumbai, India 2015
• Focus Photography Festival, Mumbai, India 2013
• Director’s Choice Award - Adjudged by Mr. Arko Dutta - World Press Photo Of the Year Winner, Mumbai
More Works by Sandeep Dhopate
Back to Top
Sign up for the latest updates
in contemporary art & design!